Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Only Gift That Matters This Christmas

Christmas is here!! You know what that means...... PRESENTS!!

Well.. I say that with a bit of disappointment. Unfortunately, the holiday season has become all about getting the latest and greatest items. Parents wait in lines for hours, in hopes of getting the last video game console, TV, smartphone, toy, etc. Materialism is at an all time high! Dozens of gifts are jammed under the Christmas tree and stockings are packed full with goodies. However, most people are forgetting the only gift that matters!!! That gift is.... TIME.

Both Chelsea and I remember having a fantastic Christmas year after year growing up. We didn't get everything on our lists, but we always got more than we needed! I remember waking up on Christmas morning, barely able to contain my excitement. Usually I'd be the first to wake everyone up.. which I'm sure they all hated since it was probably at 6 am! With our eyes covered, my momma and sister would lead my brother and I downstairs and place us in front of the tree. With "This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway playing in the background, we would uncover our eyes and be overwhelmed with joy at the sight of all the presents under the tree. It was truly a remarkable feeling. But today, in my early 20s, I can't recall all the toys I received. Sure, I remember getting an N64 and a PS2. I remember Tonka Trucks and Wrestling Action Figures (yes.. Action Figures, NOT Dolls... I'm talking to you momma!) When I think about Christmas, I do not recall the toys, but I always remember the TIME spent with family. I remember the traditions. I remember the feeling of anticipation as my brother and I lay awake on Christmas Eve. I remember the dinners spent together around the massive Christmas feast. It is TIME that I remember... not presents.

This holiday season, reflect on the Christmases of your childhood. What do you remember? If I were a betting man, I'd bet you'd first think of the time spent, the memories made and the traditions formed. Time is the ONLY gift that matters on Christmas. Time is precious because once it is gone, it is gone forever. You can always have more toys, but you will never have more TIME. I hope that this Christmas, you share with your family the only gift that matters. I hope you use the time you have to laugh, to love, and to create memories that will last forever.

Time is the ultimate gift. Give it to those you love most. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment