Wednesday, June 6, 2012

DIY Pallet Wine Shelf

Hey y'all! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! To continue with the Pallet Projects, I chose to take the higher road on this particular project and not have to physically rip the Pallets apart, this time I let my automatic hand saw to the work! The friend of mine who has the 2 kids ( we made the sand box for them over Memorial Day weekend) made Pallet Shelves for her sons Cowboy themed bedroom, so I had to give this a shot for myself!

Materials Needed:

1 Pallet
6 Small 90 Degree Brackets (2 brackets for each piece of wood to attach the bottom to my support frame)
1 Box Drywall Anchors
Rando screws to attach brackets and to screw it into the wall (feel free to buy them if you don't have any)


Tools Needed: 

Hand Circular Saw w/ blade
Power Drill
Level
Drill Bit for Pre drilling ( Pallet wood is VERY HARD!)

Directions:

 1. I simply took a Pallet and took my saw and chopped off the appropriate height that I wanted.

 Note: The pallet I used had 4 vertical support beams, the 2 support beams on the outside were easy to cut, however the 2 middle ones required a jig saw and some fancy work to cut out.

2. Remove the top pallet boards to make it a shelf where you can place things on. As you can see from the picture, my pallet was 3 boards wide. I removed the first 2 pallet boards to make my shelf.  Leaving the 3 pallet board attached to hold the bottles in place.

3. Find scrap wood to make a bottom for your shelf, I attached those with my handy dandy small brackets that I used in my Under Storage Pallet Project.

Note: since I have 4 support beams, it naturally creates 3 cubbys if you will that I need to fill with wood to create my bottom, I used 2 brackets to attach each of the 3 pieces of wood to the support frames. Does that make sense?!? Comment if it doesn't and Ill explain further!

Note: I had 3 pieces of wood that fit perfectly in the gap on the bottom where I was able to use my brackets. However, you may have to get a piece of wood cut for the bottom and attache it like I did my wine glass shelf. 

4. Find a wall and attach it using studs or dry wall anchors, make sure its sturdy and level! We DON'T WANT THINGS THAT GO BOOM IN THE NIGHT TO HAPPEN!

5. I added the x2 pallet boards that I removed in Step 2 and added them on top of the shelf for additional storage. I just hammered those into the support beams and that was plenty strong to hold my glasses!

TA DA! We have a wine shelf and a cleared out a large space in my Kitchen Pantry and Cabinets where the Veno and Glasses once lived! Who knew that on  this mission to make more room for my honey that I would become this creative!!! James is proud that I have not chopped a finger off! ( that's a story for another time. . . .



Now if we can just pant the breakfast/dining nook a different color, I think we will be off to the races! Suggestions anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment